Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Bug

As I sit here and type, there are a couple breaks being taken for my right hand's finger nails to dig at the large lump on my left forearm that appeared yesterday assumingly after something had bitten me.  So as I sit here wishing I had some Gold Bond to relieve my discomfort, I couldn't help but wonder... maybe there was a bigger itch that I needed to scratch?

Today, Delta Airlines announced non stop service from Seattle to Incheon, the airport serving the city of Seoul, South Korea.  I've been bitten by the travel bug several times in the past, and now it's been taking a big dig at me.  Seeing friends fleeing the comfort of their city to travel around our very own country or even further abroad, I'm still broadening my horizons in this metropolis that feels like a limitless small country in its own.  So I feel slightly conflicted ... while I have this traveling itch inside of me, should I bother scratching that while I still have barely scratched the surface of Chicago?

So why mention South Korea?  Growing up in Seattle, you felt like you were in the middle of nowhere a lot of the time.  No major cities north, south, east, or west... not within driving distance, anyway.  Europe wasn't just across the pond, it was that plus the rest of this continent.  Then the pond on the other side, which actually is the world's largest ocean, offered no visibility short of a 12 hours flight... minimum.

Now with this major American airline edging its face towards the West Coast, perhaps its time to arrange a trip back to Seattle... as a stop over for a great adventure.

I've travelled alone before.  To certain cities in the country, once over to the very northern European country of Iceland, and its just fine.  But something else that's been getting to me is the need for companionship, and to share these big moments in life with that certain someone special.  Is it really reasonable, however, to postpone making these large trip plans until you're certain you've found the one who will be able to share the stories of said adventures amongst your collective group of friends?
Before I plan a transpacific trip to South Korea, should I wait until I have someone to go with me, and hope I can travel there with my Seoul mate?

Time will tell.  At least wait until you're ready to make that trip, and maybe when that time comes when you're ready to head over to Incheon, than that itch will be gone.  Or maybe waiting really is a risk worth taking.  After all, it's like what they say; you dim sum, you lose some.

No comments:

Post a Comment